Sunday, February 21, 2010

What A Feelin' (I can really have it all!)

We took an unexpected trip to Seattle. This was Fauna’s first time on a plane, being away from home and the daddy it belongs to. She was a champ but a little potty shy. That makes me want to get more into the deeper EC issues…I need a book. A couple of members of the Yahoo group I joined gave me some suggestions.

Fauna did go a few times while we were away but I must admit, I wasn’t really on the ball since I was distracted by the other events going on. When we came home, things instantly went back to normal; she was smiling and laughing as we held her over the potty and she peed. Funny little bug.

Auntie Sam finished knitting a pair of legwarmers that look smashing on the little Faunster! When I arrived home, I found that my shipment from EBay had also arrived so she’ll be sassing up the flashdancer look as soon as I run the little knit tubes through the wash.

On another potty note: while we were away, I put Fauna in a couple of disposables. The first time I changed her diaper, her private area was much moister than it usually is (my guess is that it’s a side effect of the special plastic used in disposables that is air and water proof) and there were tiny little gel-like-crystals on her skin. I found out that this gel is made from sodium polyacrylate and it is what fills the diaper to make it hold more liquid…up to 100x it’s weight to be exact. I also found out that it’s been reported to cause severe skin irritations, oozing blood from the perineum and scrotal tissues, fever, vomiting, staph infections in babies, can cause female organ problems, was banned from tampons in 1985 due to its link to TSS, and has killed children who have ingested only 5 oz of it.
I mention this because I’ve heard a lot of gasps and giggles when people hear about the concept of EC. I’ve been told over and over how “unnatural” this whole thing is. I find it extremely interesting that some are so anxious to oppose EC yet are so willing to accept the fact that most babies in this country have their bums wrapped in plastic and chemicals 24 hours a day.

How is that natural?

I’m not here to judge, just presenting a counter argument to the mainstream.

4 comments:

  1. Gotta love those chemicals!

    You inspired me to try the EC thing a little -- especially for the big number T.W.O, but Violet, at one, has been trained that pooping on herself is normal. And did NOT care for the toilet. But I pride myself that her sweet little bum now the softness of cloth as she does the deed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGOSH those little gel crystal things, GROSS :( That's just awful...Makes me nauseous thinking that was on my baby boy's butt so many years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle- new knowledge shouldn't cause you to regret...you did what you knew to be the best for your baby at the time you were doing it! take new ideas and share them (gently) with others who might not know differently and allow them the opportunity to CHOOSE their path. that's all we can do right? share with each other and love one another through our individual-and different-decisions! love you sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete