Friday, July 23, 2010

It's Called That For A Reason!

Our gorgeos little Valentine
Feb. 2010




I wrote this in February and didn't get to posting it until now:



Last week my sweet Grandfather took his leave. This resulted in lots of sadness as well as another last minute trip to Seattle to attend his memorial service. We flew to and from Seattle in a span of 9 hours from start to finish. I noticed that, like our last plane trip, this one also threw off Fauna’s intestinal “schedule”…simply put, she didn’t poo for days and her gas was of the stinky sort. She was not keen on going potty at all. No biggee.

We’ve been back home for a week or so now and, to our delight, have realized that Fauna has started to verbalize whether she needs to go or not. When we take her diaper off, we always put her over the potty before clothing her in a fresh diaper. If she does need to go, she smiles really big and sometimes throws in an occasional giggle, if she doesn’t need to go she will make a few moany squawks (nose wrinkle optional). We don’t even have to hold her over the toilet for three seconds before she tells us exactly what she needs.

In the same way she’s learned that: When mommy starts to unsnap her tank top clip, it means I’m getting food soon! I’m gonna stop crying now, and wait here with my mouth gaping open until she feeds me…3,2,1....mmmm that’s good!”
she’s also learned:
“When mommy or daddy hold me up like this and make that silly sound, they are letting me know I can go pee if I want. I’ll tell them what I need now that I understand what they are asking me.”

This new discovery had been pretty rad for both Griff and me, Fauna seems to dig it too. It’s nuts being able to “talk” with a baby who isn’t even four months yet! We’re really starting to understand even more fully why it’s called, “Elimination Communication”.

She's tuned in so well to our communication that once when Griff took her diaper off and said, "Potty" and then started making the the cue noise she immediately started to pee. Griff, however, had given the cue before HE was ready and decided to change potty locations at the last minute. As he was moving Fauna from the sink to the toilet, she let it rip and Griff ended up soaking the bathroom and himself with fresh, warm Fauna pee! I guess there IS a downside to communicating with your infant- they might know what you're talking about better than you do!

1 comment:

  1. Those bright, blue peepers just brightened up my morning. I love you guys. You are amazing, caring, attentive parents and Fauna is blessed because of it. What a little smartie pants ;)
    Hugs and Kisses,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete